Saturday, May 31, 2014

Leaving Hagan Stone Park

I got up on Wednesday around 7am and went outside to look at the front tire to see if it was flat or still up. To my amazement it looked okay, just to be sure I decided to take it for a spin and see if it was okay or not. I figured if it started to lose air again the warning light would come on to let me know. I ended up driving about 6 miles and it never lost air, so back to the campground I went.

Charlotte was up when I got back so we made the decision to leave and head to Tennessee, leaving our family wanting MORE of US!!. We had a few things to do in order to get ready to leave. I told Charlotte I wanted to leave by 9am. After packing, storing items, taking a bath, dumping the waste and hooking up the car we were ready, but it was 10am!!

We left the campground and hit 421N heading towards Greensboro, from there we took the I85 bypass to I40 and headed toward Winston Salem. We settled in for about an 6 hour drive in the RV. There was a little construction going on in the Hickory area, but it didn't slow us down much. After we had been on the road for a couple of hours we pulled into a rest area to let Mysti relieve herself and while there I checked on the tire to see how it was doing. Everything looked okay and we took off with another 4 hours in front of us.

When we got to the Asheville, NC area the Interstate gradually started climbing the mountains. I usually travel about 60 -62 MPH staying in the right lane out of every ones way. Our coach seems to like this speed and we the best performance at this speed ( 8.3 mpg ). When we started going up the mountains, guess what??? All those trucks that had passed me, we ended up passing them back. We went up those inclines at about 45 - 50 mph and it didn't seem to strain our RV. I had taken it out of drive and put it in 4th gear so the transmission wouldn't keep shifting as we went up, ( 4.3 mpg ) UGH ! Eventually we had to come back down the other side. At least this was a gradual decent that took close to 20 miles. Warning signs were posted about every 1/2 mile to a mile telling big trucks and large vehicles not to exceed 50 mph down the incline because of all the sharp curves, how about 15.3 mpg coming down ) :::)))

That was the exciting part of the trip and we arrived at our campground around 4:30pm central time. Just before reaching Crossville, TN. we crossed into the Central time zone. We had made reservations at Cumberland Mountain State Park just outside of Crossville.


After we got set up we were tired and just decided to have a tuna salad sandwich with the tuna Charlotte had made before we left Hagan Stone Park. As I said all of us were tired and by 9:30 we were tucked in bed asleep.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment